As part of a community with long ties to the military, faculty and staff at UConn Avery Point welcome veterans and their families to pursue educational goals on this campus. Currently, more than 70 veterans call Avery Point their home campus within the University of Connecticut system, while several faculty and staff members have also served. In short, veterans - as faculty, staff, and students - form an important core to the Avery Point community, and the campus is dedicated to supporting service men and women in transitioning back to civilian life.
In Fall 2007 a committee was formed to serve veterans and active military students and their family members. The focus of the Military at Avery Point (MAP) committee is to deliver both formal and informal educational and other resources they may seek on enrolling. This committee is also a means for veterans to become involved at Avery Point in ways they choose to develop, whether it is to share resources they have found useful, provide assistance directly to other vererans, or simply to impart their wisdom and experience to other veterans.
Founding and current MAP members are:
- Adjunct Professor Bill Brubaker, a retired-disabled vet (email@example.com);
- Director of Student Services Trudy Flanery (405-4024 firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Director of Academic Services Susan Lyons (405-9057 email@example.com);
- Administrative Manager in the Vice Provost's Office Jeanne Martin (405-9008 firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Assistant Professor and Coordinator of the American Studies degree program Matthew McKenzie (405-9270 email@example.com); and
- Assistant Registrar and Certifying Official/Veterans Advisor Martha Young (405-9017 firstname.lastname@example.org).
As part of our desire to serve vets, their families, and the faculty and staff they work with, listed below are links to benefits, resources, support groups, and state and federal agencies. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact any member of the MAP committee listed above. We look forward to working with and serving you at UConn Avery Point.